Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatball Sliders

Back from the store. It was a restocking mission today! I cleaned out my freezer and have so much room. I had to buy some meat and shrimp today so my bill was high for us $130 ish but I did save a lot in coupons.
This is what the plan is for this week

sweet and sour meatball sliders
Asian chicken spicy noodles
shrimp and gnochhi with pesto and asparagus
meatloaf muffins
baked pesto chicken

Here is the sweet and sour meatball slider recipe. I will post a picture later! I saw this in Family Circle Magazine: Right off the bat I am going to be adapting it. I am making it for the crock pot. I usually like to bake my meatballs on a baking sheet lined with foil for about 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. It is less messy and the result is really good. This time I will be browning the meatballs in a frying pan and adding them to the sauce in a crock pot and letting them cook off all day.



Sweet and sour Meatball Sliders
1 green pepper finely chopped (I am using red)
1 15oz tomato sauce
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
2 lbs ground pork
2 lg eggs or 1 egg per lb of pork
1/3 c cornflake crumbs (I may substitute 1 pk instant oatmeal)
1 medium onion diced
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 pkg dinner rolls

Add peppers, onion, and garlic to a skillet with evoo heat for four minutes. Add salt and pepper and some of the tomato sauce and garlic salt. I divided the pepper mixture and put half in the sauce and half in the meatballs.  In a medium bowl mix the pork. Stir in the eggs, corn flake crumbs(or oatmeal), and pepper mixture until blended and form 12 meatballs using about 2 TBSP of the meat. I got 20 meatballs this way instead of the 12 they got. The meatballs just have to be browned they will cook in the crock pot all the way through.

Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat with some Evoo. Add medium onion diced with the remaining tomato sauce, sugar and vinegar, and a dash of garlic salt. Here I browned the meatballs in the skillet and added them to the sauce in the crock pot. I am using the low setting for up to 8 hours. I am going to be serving this with rice on the side because I like the sweet and sour sauce over rice. Also I thought about adding pineapple tidbits to this. It looks like each dinner roll will get 2 meatballs.

We loved it and think it's a keeper! I served rice as the side and put the sweet and sour sauce on top. I served two meatballs per dinner roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment