Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crock Pot Split Pea Soup Tonight for Dinner

Day three of the ham extravaganza I made crock pot split pea soup. It was really nasty out today. "Rain, rain, go away!" My after school program managed to play outside a half hour today before it poured and we had to retreat inside.

A few weeks ago I purchased some split peas on clearance. Today I used the left over ham bone and made crock pot split pea soup. Each package has directions on how to pre-cook your beans. I had to boil mine for a few minutes and let them sit for a hour in the hot water. Normally I would cook this on the stove but I am short on time. It was back to school for all of us today and I don't get home til around 6PM.

Here's how to make the super easy crock pot split pea soup.

1 pkg split peas rinsed and soaked per package directions
1 onion halved
1 potato diced
4 carrots cut into coins
6-8 cups water
1 ham bone
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP chicken soup base or chicken bullion
1 tsp salt and pepper

Set crock pot for high about 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours. I have a large crock pot but I had to empty out some water to allow for the water that comes out of the ham bone. Add the peas, carrots, and potato at the bottom of the crock pot and then the ham bone. Add the water leaving about two inches or so to the top. Add the bay leaf.  Fit the onions in wherever they will fit. Let cook until peas are tender. I came home and my soup was perfect. Remove the ham bone and cut off the ham from the bone into bite sized pieces. Return to the pot and add bullion or soup base and salt and pepper. Makes a great filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment