Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coupon Confusion and Enchiladas for Dinner

Today was my shopping day. It is double coupon day at my store and you are only allowed to double up to 5 coupons. On Saturday they will be having a double double coupon day where I can add up to 10. I knew grocery shopping wasn't going to be fun. It was really busy in there today and not enough cashiers. Our plan was to split up the transactions so we could get some things for free. We got two of the new Kraft home style mac and cheeses you bake for free and a Just for Men's hair dye for free too. Yes my hubby is turning grey lol I saved about $60 in manufacturer and store coupons.

I am back home now and analyzing my bill. I sent my daughter and hubby off to Target to get the deal on Easter Candy. He is diabetic. I hope it's not too torturous for him to touch all that candy! My oldest also needed a new pair of shoes. She is at that age where she is not happy with anything I get her so it's best off to let her go and choose her own.

I've got a really good Groupon to tell you about. I think it's a national Groupon. It's for $15.00 worth $30.00 of spices from Millford Spice company. Just click on my link and look for the side deal. You can switch the groupon for your area at the top. http://www.groupon.com/r/uu1531594
http://www.milfordspice.com/

I am purchasing Greek Seasoning, taco seasoning, herbs de Provence, mole seasoning, and I can't remember the other one but they come in these cool tins. Shipping is only $7.00.

Tonight I am making enchiladas with the left over tamale meat I froze from my tamale making frenzy from last week. These are really good with corn tortillas but you can also make them with flour if you wish. I make corn tortillas and scrambled eggs with the left over corn tortillas. I have been making enchiladas with the corn tortillas for over 20 years. I love the taste. I also looked into getting my own tortilla press of eBay for $20.00. Maybe for my wedding anniversary?



1 package corn tortillas
1 lb ground beef browned and drained of fat
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 c. water for sauce
1/4 c water for ground beef
1 cup taco cheese
1 can black olives chopped (optional)
note: the corn tortillas roll better warm. Stick inbetween two paper towels and microwave for 25 seconds.
This is a recipe that is easily adaptable for the non meat eaters in your family. For them I make two cheese enchiladas and turn them a different way in the pan so I know which is theirs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On the stove top heat tomato sauce adding cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, water, to the mixture. Cook on low and stir every few minutes.  In a separate pan brown and drain the ground beef. Add the same seasonings you added to the sauce to the meat including the water. Let the meat cook another 3-5 minutes.

With a soup ladle spread some of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Place on tortilla in the sauce. Lay about 2 TBSP of the meat mixture down the end of the tortilla with a pinch of cheese. Roll from one side to the other making a rolled tortilla. Place seam side down and repeat the process til all your meat is gone. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese and black olives if you wish. Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment