Thursday, April 14, 2011

Denver Omelet in a Mug and Tamale Casserole for Dinner

I am love with this new show on the Cooking Channel called Hungry Girl! The host Lisa Lillen is a genius! She makes low fat fast recipes. Her fudge brownies are awesome and easy. I will post that one later. Yesterday I made her Denver Omelet in a mug.

I am writing this recipe according to memory so please forgive me. I also added the veggies I wanted. I had green pepper, mushroom, onion, and cheese, and turkey(out of ham). My hubby had grape tomatoes, green pepper, and cheese. Both turned out yummy!

Denver Omelet in a Mug
1/4 c cheese she used FF cheese (I only used a pinch)
1/4 pepper diced
1/4 onion diced
5 mushrooms diced (optional)
1/4 c egg beaters or egg substitute
2 slices ham or meat of your choice
PAM for spraying
a mug

In the mug spray PAM and place veggies in. I sprayed them with PAM on the top. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave. Blot the veggies with a paper towel so you won't have excess liquid in the bottom of your omelet. Add the egg substitute. Microwave for a minute. Stir the eggs and add the cheese and meat. Give a stir and microwave for 60 seconds more and Voila! You have a omelet in a mug! It was very filling and I didn't have my normal grumbly tummy.

Last night I tried out a recipe from myrecipes.com for tamale casserole. I make something similar by Rachael Ray that is a Mexican type cornbread pizza. I scratched this down on a piece of paper so I will try my best to relate this to you. The only thing I didn't like is the cornbread was kind of mushy. There is a step that asked me to poke holes in my cornbread and pour enchilada sauce onto it. I think you could just pour the sauce over it and not poke the holes in it saving the cornbread from going mushy.

You'll also notice I have a side of black beans. I made them in the crock pot after soaking them overnight. I drained the two cups of black beans and covered them with clean water plus about 3 inches in the crock pot. I let them cook on low for 8 hours or until they were just tooth tender. I then let them cool and was able to divide them into 3 1 cup bags. I then froze the left overs and cooked the remaining on the stove with some cumin and chili powder adding a bit of water.



1 cup cheese divided
1/3 c fat free milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp pepper
1 14oz creamed corn
1 box corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
14 oz can of green chillies
2 c shredded chicken
1 can enchilada sauce (I used McCormick seasoning)

Preheat the oven to 400. Earlier in the day I boiled three skinless boneless chicken breasts in water for 35 minutes from frozen. I let them cool and chilled them for when I got home from work. In a medium sized bowl mix all ingredients through the chilies just until combined. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with PAM and add the cornbread mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until it is set. The instructions say to poke with holes here but I think I may omit that step next time. I did however reserve some of the enchilada sauce and coat the chicken with it. Add the chicken on top of the corn bread and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for another 15-20 minutes and serve. It will be really hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment