Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Started Walking Yesterday Chicken and Shrimp Etouffee for Dinner

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Milwaukee! My hubby has off this week and I was going to drag myself to the gym but we made a pact to start walking. He was diagnosed with type one diabetes which means he is a insulin dependant diabetic. This is something that caught us by surprise about 6 months ago. I noticed something wasn't right with him. He was rapidly loosing weight, constantly thirsty, and very crabby. I thought the crabbiness was due to him working third shift. I made him go to the doctor and found out his blood sugar was over 500. That is VERY bad. They gave him an insulin injection right there.

One of the side effects of having high blood sugar is loss of vision. We were driving home from the doctor and my hubby starts to freak out! He says to me "I can't see!" I managed to get him to the side of the road. Eventually about 85 percent of his vision came back but we found out he has a disease called GAD that kills his islets in his pancreas so he can no longer produce insulin himself hence the two shots of insulin a day. He has been able to drop a lot of weight in a short amount of time and keep it off.

Well back to me. I have been on and off the weight loss wagon so many times but I am a current rider again. I am hoping the walking will steer me in the right direction.

Tonight I am making one of our favorites, Chicken and Shrimp Etouffee http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.blogspot.com/2011/01/hey-good-lookin-whatcha-got-cookin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment