Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cornbread Mexican Pizza Revisited

My hubby requested this one. Cornbread Mexican Pizza. I have posted the recipe before but I changed a few things in it this time around. The original recipe I saw on Rachael Ray. Both Boca and Morningstar Farms have veggie type meat crumbles.  I didn't have salsa but instead used tomato sauce. I like it because you can use whatever veggies are in season. My daughter is a new vegetarian so I can make sure she gets her veggies too!

1 lb ground beef
2 corn bread mixes like Jiffy
2 eggs
1 1/2 milk
1 cup black beans drained optional
1 small zucchini diced (you may use the veggies of your choice)
1 small yellow squash diced
1 tomato seeded and diced
1 small onion diced
1 can tomato sauce
2 TBSP taco seasoning
1/2 cup shredded cheese.
PAM for spraying
cast iron skillet


Pre heat oven to 400. Stir together the corn bread mix, milk, and eggs in a medium sized bowl. Spay PAM in the bottom of a cast iron skillet and dump in the corn bread mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until set in the middle. In a sauce pan heat 1 TBSP of taco seasoning and the tomato sauce on low. In a frying pan add the ground beef and brown and drain the fat. Remove the beef and add some of the sauce to it. Spray pan with PAM once again. Add the veggies and sautee' until tender. Remove cornbread from the oven and pour tomato sauce over the cornbread. Add the tomato sauce and then the ground beef. On top of that add the veggies. Top that with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment