Thursday, May 19, 2011

Crock Pot Pork Posole' and Jack Sparrow Today!

The week is flying by and today is the day I have been dreading all week. I have to go take a placement test for college. I haven't been in school for about 18 years. The first time around I had decided I wanted to be a broadcast journalist. I even interned at  a radio station at one point. However, I ended dropping out at about the two and a half year mark. Now my youngest is going to be a full day K5 this next year and I have the chance to go back to school. We want to own our own house so badly. I work part time but that is just enough for us to get by. This will be a great opportunity for our family.

Tonight at midnight I am going to go see Pirates 4. I have been looking forward to this all week! Jack has a special place in my heart lol! Here is a picutre of he and I on Disney's Castaway Cay!


So the idea of the week is once again fast meals or meals I can cook in the crock pot. Last night I made pork posole. I purchased a pork sirloin. Normally I would use a pork butt or shoulder. The sirloin was on sale for about $5.00 less. I only used half and will be using the rest for pulled pork sandwiches later on in the week. I saw this idea on "Meals in a week" I changed some ingredients. Some I couldn't find at my store. Here's how I made it.

Pork Posole'

2 lbs pork sirloin or pork shoulder
4 cups chicken stock
1 can hominy drained
2 carrots chopped
1 onion diced
3 chipotle chilies in adobo (I threw in a blender with a bit of water)
1 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP chili powder
1 1/2 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP minced garlic from a jar
1 TBSP chicken soup base or chicken bouillon
cilantro for topping
tortilla chips for topping
sour cream for topping

I didn't braise my pork. I threw it in the crock pot with the carrots, hominy, chicken stock, and carrots. I then added in the seasonings and garlic and gave it all a stir. In a blender I blended the chipotle peppers with water. (a few TBSPs) Hominy is white corn but tastes almost like a potato when cooked. Set the crockpot to low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high. At the end remove the pork from the crock pot and with two forks shred the pork and return it back to the pot. Add the chicken bullion or soup base and stir. Taste for seasoning. Serve with cilantro, tortilla chips, and sour cream on top. After serving the first few bowls I add more water to bring the soup back up to the top of the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment