Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lasagna is What's for Dinner

I have the ground beef on the stove as we speak and am making lasagna for dinner. This is one of my hubby's favorites. I love this show on the Cookingchannel.com called "Hungry Girl" and saw her substitute roasted egg plant planks for noodles therefore cutting down on calories and carbs. I roasted the egg plant at 425 for about 20 minutes flipping over about half way through. My daughter the vegetarian is getting egg plant planks with the ricotta.

Here is the recipe I use:
1 container fat free ricotta
1 egg
1 package precooked lasagna like Bertoli
1 egg plant cut into planks and roasted per directions above makes about 6 planks
1 can spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's)
1 lb ground beef (I am using Supreme lean)
1 cup cheese of your choice like mozzarella or cheddar shredded
Italian seasoning


Lower heat in oven to 350 degrees. Stir one egg and a pinch of cheese into the ricotta. Mix Brown ground beef and drain off fat. Ladle 1/4 of the spaghetti sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Place the first layer of noodles. Then add a spoonful of sauce to each noodle. Top with ricotta and then the ground beef. Next is the egg plant. You are using this instead of a noodle for the next layer. Top with the ricotta and meat then a noodle for the next layer. On the top layer top with sauce and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.  I ended up using 6 noodles instead of the whole box like I normally do. Bake covered with tin foil for 50 minutes. Insert a knife and check the noodles for doneness. Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment