Monday, May 30, 2011

Silky Creamed Corn and Steak for Memorial Day

Our plans were to go to a park today however it is almost 90 degrees outside and I am a bit under the weather. I have a very sory throat and am congested. Thankfully my taste is still intact so I plan on making one of my favorite side dishes. I originally saw this recipe on the Neely's show on the food network. Once you taste it you will never want regular corn on the cob again!

Let me start off by saying: Holy Corn on the Cob! The ears my hubby purchased today are huge! Note: this recipe uses bacon fat. We don't eat bacon here often but when I make it I save the bacon fat in Zip loc bags for when we need it.



Here is the recipe:

6-8 stalks of corn
( I soak them in a clean sink for a hour or so)
2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 c cold water
2 TBSP bacon fat
1 TBSP butter
salt and pepper

After the corn has soaked remove the husks and silk. With a large kitchen knife cut the corn from the cob as close to the white of the corn as possible. Save any liquid that comes from the cob. In a large frying pan start melting the bacon fat. Stir the sugar, flour,heavy cream, and cold water in a large bowl. Pour over the corn in the frying pan. Bring the corn to a boil and lower the heat to low. Keep stiring the mixture. It takes about 30 minutes for it to come together. At the very end add salt and pepper and a pat of butter to finish it off. Fight with your family over whom gets the last spoonful.

No comments:

Post a Comment