Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brat and Hot Dog Kabobs and Coleslaw for Dinner Tonight

Finally a nice stretch of weather here! It is my hubby's week off and I am taking advantage of that. I will have him grill out every night if I can. Trying to find meals we can all eat together is a challenge. My oldest is still holding on to being a vegetarian. I have been getting creative with the meal ideas.

Tonight I made veggie skewers for my oldest and brat and hot dog kabobs for us. We are in Wisconsin the home of the brat of course!

Note: Be sure to cut your veggies wide enough so they won't break going through the skewers. For the hot dog skewers we added pineapple. For the brats we added zucchini, squash, and tomatoes. You can very the veggies to your liking. I also made a olive oil basting oil by adding a tsp of Italian seasoning.

 Hot Dog and Brat Kabobs

4 hot dogs cut into pieces
4 Brats pre boiled and cut into pieces
1 can drained pineapple chunks
veggies of your choice
a dozen soaked skewers

Add the veggies of your choice and the meat of your choice onto the skewers. Grill for 15-20 minutes on low heat. My hubby places tin foil over the grate so the veggies don't fall through. I was surprised how good the hot dog/pineapple combo is!

Coleslaw

1 bag coleslaw shredded
2 TBSP garlic salt
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 light mayo or mayo of your choice
1 tsp celery salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix the vinegar along with the mayo, sugar, salt, garlic salt, and celery salt. Stir in one bag of coleslaw. Let sit for a few hours covered in the fridge. Give a stir and taste for seasoning. You may have to add more mayo or sugar at this time. A great side for brats or pulled  pork sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment