Saturday, June 25, 2011

Aarti's Bombay Sloppy Joes

Aarti was one of the Next Food Network Star winners a few years back and I have been a fan of her blog and TV show ever since. One of my favorite recipes from her show is the Bombay Sloppy Joes. I have adapted it to our tastes. Here is the gist of the recipe. I have also used ground beef and turkey but am using turkey in this recipe.

Aarti's Bombay Sloppy Joes

The Sauce: 

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Serrano chile pepper, seeded and minced (I used a chile in adobo)
1 teaspoon garam masala (this is available at most grocery stores or at Milford Spice company online)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce

For the Meat:

3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Small handful (about 1/4 cup) raisins
Small handful (about 1/4 cup) shelled pistachios
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (I use cumin powder)
1 large white onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced (I used green)
chile pepper (don't chop it unless you like things spicy!) (I used the chilie pepper in adobo)
salt
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon honey ( I added sugar instead of honey because I was out)
1/4 cup half-and-half (I omit the half and half)

In a small pan add some olive or vegetable oil and heat the raisins and pistachios. The raisins will plump and the pistachios will toast. Do this for about 2-3 minutes being careful not to burn them turning them occasionally.

In another pan saute' the green pepper and onion. Add the ground turkey and brown. At the same time begin the sauce in a sauce pot sauteing the Chile pepper, ginger,  and garlic. Add the tomato sauce and garam masala along with the paprika. Keep the heat on low and stir every few minutes.

Once the pistachios and raisins finish cooking add them to the browned turkey. Add the tomato sauce to the turkey and lastly add the honey or sugar. If you prefer you can add the half and half at this time but we prefer it without. Serve on hamburger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment