Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Crock Pot Chili and Cheese Fries

Call me crazy but I had a taste for chili. I know the temp is in the 90's but that didn't stop me. I have been making easy dishes all week. The less prep the better! With this recipe I can please both the carnivores and vegetarians in my family.


Crock Pot Chili
1 lb ground beef browned and in larger chunks
1 onion diced (today I am using a sweet Vidalia)brown with ground beef
1 large can stewed tomatoes chopped if not all ready
1 can Bush's mild chili beans with sauce
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can Campbell's tomato soup
1 can water
(if making on the stove I add one can beer after the ground beef has been browned)
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp salt

The directions are very simple on this one. Throw the ground beef and onion that has been drained into the crock pot. Add the stewed tomatoes, chili beans, kidney beans, tomato soup, and water. Lastly add the salt and chili powder. Set for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Serve ontop of fries for chili cheese fries. Top with sour cream and more cheese if you like.

Cheese Sauce

I use this basic recipe for my macaroni and cheese also. I will be using my left over cheese tomorrow for that.

1 1/2 c milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 squirt mustard
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
salt and pepper

Note: If using for chili cheese fries do not make until the last few minutes of your fries cooking. This comes together very fastly but the cheese will seperate if it sits.

In a medium sized sauce pan on medium heat add butter. Once melted add the flour. With a whisk stir the flour until it becomes light brown in color. Add the milk and bring just below boling. Slowly add the cheese. With the whisk keep stiring until all the cheese is melted. Add the squirt of mustard and salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Serve over fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment