Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chicken Fried Rice And a Use for Those Left Over Veggies

I have been working mornings for the last week and am pulling my hair out at work. It's nice to come home and relax and not have to fret over dinner.

I am using what I have on hand. My plans to go grocery shopping were derailed. My hubby came to my work and told me as he was pulling out of work the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. We just had a new brake line put in the front and my heart dropped to the floor too! He was able to avoid an accident and get the car home. This time it was the back breaks. The money I had intended on going shopping with is going towards the breaks.

Here is a recipe you can pull together quickly. The meat can be changed to suit your needs along with the veggies. I like to use fresh veggies but had half a bag of mixed veggies in the freezer and used those. The rice works better if it's cold so I made the rice ahead of time and put in the freezer to cool down. It works well with left over pork chops or pork tenderloin too.



Chicken Fried Rice

2 cups of cold cooked rice
1 large boneless chicken breast or meat of your choice chopped
1/2 onion diced
1/2 bag mixed veggies defrosted
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder (optional)
1 egg beaten

In a wok or large frying pan heat the veggies first if using fresh. Remove veggies and add the chicken browning it until no longer pink. Remove from pan and add a TBSP more oil. Add the rice and pour soy sauce over it. Stir the rice so the soy sauce is distributed. Add back the chicken and veggies. Stir the rice and push to the side. On the side of the pan add the scrambled egg. Fry until solid and mix into the rice. Finally add the five spice powder if you have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment