Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tilapia Fish Sandwiches

Our grocery store usually has a pretty good deal on Tilapia. Every few weeks you can find it buy one get one free. Last night I was really craving a Filet O' Fish from Mickey D's but I am trying to save for a trip and I knew I had fish on hand. I breaded them with a combination of egg and Italian bread crumbs and fried them. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture but trust me you will want to try this one.

Tilapia Fish Sandwiches

5 Tilapia Fillets
1 cup Italian seasoned  bread crumbs like Contadina
1 egg
1/4 c milk
salt and pepper
PAM
olive oil
paper towels and a paper plate for draining
tartar sauce
buns

In a large non-stick frying pan spray PAM and place about 1/4 c olive oil on the bottom of the pan and heat on medium.  Bread the Tilapia by placing in the egg/milk mixture, into the bread crumbs, and repeat. Continue to bread the remaining pieces. The oil should begin to ripple on the bottom of the pan. Place the battered pieces into the pan and let sit. Flip after 5 minutes. Cooking time should be around 8-10 minutes. You may need to respray the pan with PAM but remove from the heat first spraying away from the open flame. Check your package directions depending on the size and thickness of your fillets.Pieces should flake with a fork. Serve on buns with tartar sauce.

1 comment:

  1. My grocer started carrying large bags of Tilapia. It is very economical to use. Catfish has gotten really expensive. Tilapia has such a great mild flavor and my family just loves it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete