Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crock Pot Meatball Subs, Tabbouleh, and Falafel

It was a week from hell this past week. The weather here in Milwaukee was unbearable. Temps were near one hundred and the dew point was very high. That made for a week of quick meals that didn't require baking or much use of the kitchen. This week is going to be in the 80's temp wise. I have a few things planned like clothes shopping and a cruise of Lake Michigan with my friend made all the much better with alcohol.

On Friday I also took my daughter to an organic food store called the Outpost. My normal grocery store stopped carrying Falafel mix and Tabbouleh which is a Bulgar wheat that you make into a salad. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable actually. I am used to instant Tabbouleh. This one it said to boil for 20 minutes. Now I see other recipes on the Internet that don't require boiling. My salad did come out well though. I made enough to last me all weekend. The tabbouleh was not mushy and came out the way it was suppose to. I used 4 cups of water and two cups of Tabbouleh.
Bulgar Wheat with tomato, mint, seedless cucumber, lemon juice and EVOO

For dinner Friday my daughters and I had Falafel balls in pita pockets with cucumber, tomato, and tahini (a sesame paste) My hubby had left over Jerk chicken stew.

Friday was supposed to be meatball sub night. When I went to use the French bread on Saturday, one was a total loss. Well a total loss for the subs. I used the stale bread to make garlic bread crumbs later that night.

I started out first by making the meat balls. I used a pound and a half of ground chuck and this pre-made Bertoli sauce. I really like the taste of their sauce!
I browned the balls on the stove before placing in crock pot

Crock Pot Meat Ball Subs

1 1/2 lbs ground chuck or meat of your choosing
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
1 cup chopped mushrooms
cheese (I used Gorgonzola)
1 loaf French Bread
1 jar Bertoli pasta sauce

Brown meatballs in olive oil on all sides on stove top. Move to crock pot and add your favorite sauce and mushrooms. Cook on high for 4 hours. Cut bread into three pieces. Cut down the middle and scoop out the insides of the bread. Add meatballs and sauce and your favorite cheese. Crisp for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven to melt the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment