Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Chicken and Shrimp Etouffee' Hits the Spot

I have long been a fan of Southern cooking. As a child my Mom waitressed at a restaurant named Vnuks. That was my first taste of Cajun food. I was willing and still am willing to try everything and anything. I have passed on that trait to my kids thankfully.

It's still very hot here but I made this dish with just the right amount of spice. I leave it toned down with spice for my family and have a bottle of hot sauce available at the table. The dish itself comes together in about 15 minutes.

Chicken and Shrimp Etouffee'

1 boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
1/2 bag shrimp devained (I am using precooked devained)
2 Andouille sausage links cut into coins (used Johnsonville)
2 cups chicken stock
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 Bay leaves
hot sauce
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/4 cup flour
1 onion diced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 green pepper diced
2 stalks celery diced
salt and pepper
white rice

Save time by having all your ingredients ready to go. I make my rice in a rice cooker. That's one less thing I have to worry about. In a large frying pan add the oil. Once shimmering add the flour and brown for 2-3 minutes stirring with a whisk to prevent lumping. Next add the veggies. Stir into the flour and brown for another 3 minutes. Add the 2 TBSP tomato paste and sausage and brown for another minute. Now add the chicken stock and Bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Add the cubed chicken and cook for 5 minutes more on medium heat or until the chicken cubes are no longer pink. Lastly add the shrimp. Since they are precooked you only need to bring them to temperature. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment