Monday, October 29, 2012

Cheesy Beef Enchiladas and Rapido Sauce



My family loves Mexican food! I make something Mexican related at least 3 times a week. This is one of my family's favorites, Cheesy Beef Enchiladas. It can be on your table in 30 minutes. My only note is for the sauce to gradually add the chili powder and taste the sauce. Adjust the amount according to your taste.

Another great thing about this recipe is you can choose what kind of tortillas you want to use, either flour or corn. If you are using the corn, you need to warm them up so they don't crack. You can also choose what type of beans you would like to add. I happened to make a huge batch of kidney beans a few weeks ago and added a bag of them I had in the freezer. You are also able to choose the meat you would like to use. I have made these with turkey in the past but am using ground beef today. Cheese you can choose an authentic cheese or opt for the cheddar as I did.


Cheesy Beef Enchiladas with Mexican Rice

1 package flour tortillas
1 lb ground beef browned
1 cup beans of your choice
1 cup taco cheese shredded
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 can of water
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt

Start the sauce in a large sauce pan adding all the ingredients from the crushed tomatoes to salt. I gradually added the chili powder according to taste.  I didn't have to use a roux or flour thickener as I used crushed tomatoes and not tomato sauce. Simmer on low. Brown the ground beef and drain off fat. Season with salt and stir. Add the beans and a ladle full of the simmering sauce. Let the flavors meld for about 2-3 minutes.
The sauce should be ready in about 10 minutes.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a ladle, add the sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 Pyrex baking dish. (I know mine has seen better days)
Add a tortilla and then a few spoons full of the meat mixture. Roll into a cigar shape with the seam side down.. Repeat the process adding more sauce to the bottom of the cooking dish as you go. Someone always eats tortillas out of the package so I never have 12! I used to make 2 cheese and onion enchiladas specifically for my vegetarian daughter. I would lay them a different way in the dish so I would know.

Next ladle the rest of the sauce and any remaining meat and beans over the entire rolled tortillas in the dish.  Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve with the Mexican rice below and sour cream. Sometimes I also serve with avocado.







Mexican Rice

1 1/2 cups long grain rice
2 1/2 cups water
3 TBSP achiote seeds
1 TBSP Knorr tomato/chicken flavoring

I use a 3 cup rice cooker which makes life so much easier. I also use the achiote seeds when making my famous Arroz con Pollo. The achiote seeds add a nutty flavor to the rice. You can also make this stove top by following your rice package instructions.

They are very easy to use. You just need a non stick small frying pan and about 2 TBSP oil. Add about 3 TBSP of the achiote seeds to the pan and bring up to temperature until a red color begins to release from the seeds. Do not burn. Use a spoon to remove the seeds.

Add directly to the rice in the rice cooker as well as the chicken flavoring. Once the rice cooker is finished cooking mix the rice to incorporate the oil and bullion. Check for flavor and add more bullion if necessary. Serve with the enchiladas.






No comments:

Post a Comment