Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review of Rachel Rays' Patty Melts

This one was another keeper from Rachel Ray. It's the best of both worlds, a grilled cheese, and a hamburger smothered with caramelized onions. My only complaint about this recipe is the length of time it took me to get all the ingredients ready. The thing that takes the most time is caramelizing the onions. (around  30 minutes)  The payoff is well worth it though with the happy marriage of both worlds.
Firstly I started caramelizing the onions in some butter and oil. I knew this would be the longest part of the process. I had them on low and kept turning them every few minutes. Next I added some white wine and beef consume' and let it reduce.


 The burgers came together pretty easily. I have an indoor Hamilton Beach grill that I love. I can make hamburgers in about 7 minutes. I mixed together about a pound and a half of hamburger, 2 TBSP of minced parsley, 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce, and two tablespoons of Dijon mustard together with salt and pepper.

Next I threw them on the grill and also started my sweet potato fries in the oven. The last part to this sandwich was to use a really good bread and make a grilled cheese out of it. I used Texas toast and Swiss Cheese. Once the onions reduced I added them and a patty to the buttered Texas toast and fried them. I let the family choose what they wanted for toppings. I made mine with the onions and Dijon mustard on top.

I loved this recipe and was able to eat it for lunch again today. Check out Rachael' website for the complete recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment