Sunday, October 21, 2012

Apple Pie Filling

Baconmoto with Parmesan hash browns
Today is yet another busy Sunday. For "Special Breakfast Day" we had two gift certificates for Melthouse Bistro on Milwaukee's East side. It's our new favorite go to place. Not only do they have the best grilled cheese, they also have a kids eat free Sunday brunch. (You're welcome for the free advertising)

They have such a creative sandwich menu. I love to have lunch there with a nice bowl of tomato soup.

 Next, my oldest daughter and I took a tour of one of the high schools she's interested in attending. It's a private school. I am hoping she will be able to either get a scholarship or some funding from our local public school choice program.

Then back home for the two of us. I have been putting off studying all day lol I decided to make apple pie filling. I have been on a canning kick for the last few months. First I made sweet and kosher pickles, then plum strawberry jam, then jalapeno strawberry jam, and now the apple pie filing.


Be sure to sterilize your jars and lids. Since you will be putting warm sauce into the apples, it's a good idea to keep the jars simmering in the water bath.

Alas I used up most of my white sugar last weekend making the strawberry jalapeno jam. (we shall eat like kings in the zombie apocalypse)  I opted to use brown sugar in this recipe. It gives the sauce a caramel flavor. Feel free to do the reverse and add 4 cups white sugar and 1/2 c. brown sugar. To that I also added 1 cup corn starch, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg, and two tsp. of salt. Simmer that on low heat with 10 cups of water. I stirred throughout the process until it became thick and bubbly.

While that was simmering, I cut the apples up. I had a variety of apples because they were on clearance. I put them in a huge bowl filled with water and a few tablespoons of lemon juice.  Hearty apples work best for this like Granny Smith, I also had some Empires, and Pink Ladies. I had enough for 3 quarts of apples. I probably had around 12-15 apples. I ended up with one jar of just sauce.
a larger pot is a better choice
Once the sauce came to a boil and thickened, I added 2 TBSP lemon juice and incorporated it into the sauce. I used a ladle to fill the jars with sauce just below the bottom of the neck. The apples will settle and you may need to go back and top off. I used a knife to try to get most of the air bubbles out. Some say the jar will break if you use a metal knife but I had no problem.  I tightened the sterile lids and processed them in enough boiling water to cover the tops of the jars. I also placed a lid over the pot and processed them for 20 minutes. The jars will be left on the counter overnight until they seal. I plan on using one of the jars tonight. The sauce would also be great for bananas Foster.


No comments:

Post a Comment