Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why is the Rum Not Gone? Bananas Foster with Rum

About two years ago my this week my family and I embarked on a four day cruise on the Disney Wonder to Nassau in the Bahamas. We purchased one of our allowed liters there in Nassau and have been nursing the bottle ever since. I even purchased another bottle when we returned there in November 2009. That one is unopened though.


My hubby is a diabetic and I didn't want to be cruel to him so I decided to make this on a night when he would be sleeping. Bananas Foster. I prefer to use brown sugar but I had to use what I had on hand white sugar.

Here is the recipe with the brown sugar. If using white you need stir it in the butter until it becomes light brown. Also when you add the rum use a piece of spaghetti and stand away as the alcohol will flame and needs to burn out.


Bananas Foster

4 TBSP butter
2 TBSP brown sugar or white
1/4 cup rum
5 bananas sliced anyway you like
vanilla ice cream

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the brown sugar and stir in with a whisk until dissolved. Add the rum and flame with a long match or a piece of uncooked spaghetti. Once the flame is out add the bananas and heat for about 2 minutes. Ladel bananas over waiting ice cream. This is family safe as the alcohol burns off.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love Bananas Foster and had no idea it was so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete