Monday, March 28, 2011

Comfort Food Always Makes You Feel Better!

I started off the day on the wrong foot. Sick and tired! The family cold has made it's way through my family and settled in me. I still had to work and make the best of a crummy situation. For lunch I made some French Onion soup which I defrosted from the freezer. I freeze it in Ziploc bags in one cup sizes to use in things like crock pot pot roast.

Dinner tonight was tuna salad with shell pasta and peas which I whipped together this afternoon in anticipation of not feeling like making dinner tonight. Around 7P.M.  I decided I wanted apple pie so I made a quick apple crumble. Our ice cream this week is cookie dough as you will see in the picture. With very little planning you can make some foods that will give you comfort.

I was thinking of making a big batch of chicken noodle tomorrow but I have all the fixings for chili. So look for a chili recipe tomorrow:)

I prefer the taste of Miracle Whip for this recipe but you can use whatever you like.

                                            Cold tuna salad with shell pasta and peas

1 lb cooked and drained in cold water medium sized shells
1 can Starkist tuna in water drained
1/4 c Miracle Whip
1 cup peas drained (I used frozen)
1 stalk celery diced
1 onion diced
1 tsp salt and pepper

This recipe is great at summer picnics.

Combine the drained and cooled pasta shells with the tuna, Miracle Whip, onions, and celery. Add salt and pepper. And lastly add the peas giving a stir or two. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours. You may have to add more Miracle Whip after it sits.



                                                   Just Like Mom's Apple Crumble

Topping
3/4 c flour
3/4 sugar
1 pkg instant maple brown sugar oatmeal
1 stick cold butter cubed

6 apples cored, pealed, and sliced
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 450. Combine apples and cinnamon and stir with fingers til apples are coated. Place in a casserole dish. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, instant oatmeal and cubed butter with a fork or pastry cutter. It should be a chunky consistency. Pour over the apples. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are cooked through. Serve with our favorite ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment