Friday, March 25, 2011

Something New Today....

In my house we are always trying out new recipes. Sometimes I make 2-3 new things a week. My kids have a pretty broad palette. I ask that they try out things once and if they don't like them they don't have to eat them. My hubby and my two children do not like onions but that hasn't stopped me from incorporating them into our diet.
Here is a pic of my daughter trying escargot on the Wonder and she actually liked it!

I was in my doctors office the other day and saw this recipe for Lamb Tagine. Then the problem. When I got to my grocery store they didn't have lamb. So I settled on veal. They say you can substitute chicken but I used my chicken earlier this week in Arroz con Pollo.

Veal and lamb both have different tastes so I am not sure how this will turn out. I browned the veal in some EVOO and flour before dumping it into the crock pot and use the chicken broth to reduce get the brown bits out of the pan. I have it set to cook all day when I am at work. I have always wanted to eat at Marakesh at Epcot and am thinking about being there when making this.  I added only 2 sweet potatoes. It came out very sweet but my family ate it all up.

from Women's Day magazine:

Recipe Ingredients

    • 1 large sweet onion, sliced
    • 2 lb boneless leg of lamb or lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1⁄2-in. pieces, visible fat trimmed
    • 1 cup each dried apricots and prunes
    • 1 Tbsp each minced garlic and pumpkin pie spice
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
    • 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
    • 1 box (10 oz) whole-wheat couscous
    • 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, optional

Recipe Preparation

    1. Mix onion, lamb, apricots, prunes, garlic, pumpkin pie spice, salt, pepper and bay leaf in a 4-qt or larger slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk broth and tomato paste until combined; pour into slow cooker. Nestle whole sweet potatoes into stew. 2. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or on low 7 to 9 hours until lamb and potatoes are tender. 3. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board; discard bay leaf. Cut potatoes into wedges. 4. Prepare couscous as package directs; serve with stew and potatoes. Serve with almonds if desired. Variations 1. Use 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs instead of the lamb. Cook on high 4 to 6 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours until chicken is tender. 2. Substitute 4 lamb shanks (12 to 14 oz each) for the leg of lamb or stew meat. Cook on high 6 to 8 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until lamb is tender. 3. Instead of whole sweet potatoes, add 4 carrots (halved lengthwise, then cut into 1-in. pieces) and 2 cans (15.5 oz each) chickpeas, rinsed. Finishing Touches Top with sesame seeds instead of almonds. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or mint. Before serving, add 2 tsp grated orange

No comments:

Post a Comment