I was in my doctors office the other day and saw this recipe for Lamb Tagine. Then the problem. When I got to my grocery store they didn't have lamb. So I settled on veal. They say you can substitute chicken but I used my chicken earlier this week in Arroz con Pollo.
Veal and lamb both have different tastes so I am not sure how this will turn out. I browned the veal in some EVOO and flour before dumping it into the crock pot and use the chicken broth to reduce get the brown bits out of the pan. I have it set to cook all day when I am at work. I have always wanted to eat at Marakesh at Epcot and am thinking about being there when making this. I added only 2 sweet potatoes. It came out very sweet but my family ate it all up.
from Women's Day magazine:
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 lb boneless leg of lamb or lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1⁄2-in. pieces, visible fat trimmed
- 1 cup each dried apricots and prunes
- 1 Tbsp each minced garlic and pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 box (10 oz) whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, optional
- 1. Mix onion, lamb, apricots, prunes, garlic, pumpkin pie spice, salt, pepper and bay leaf in a 4-qt or larger slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk broth and tomato paste until combined; pour into slow cooker. Nestle whole sweet potatoes into stew. 2. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or on low 7 to 9 hours until lamb and potatoes are tender. 3. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board; discard bay leaf. Cut potatoes into wedges. 4. Prepare couscous as package directs; serve with stew and potatoes. Serve with almonds if desired. Variations 1. Use 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs instead of the lamb. Cook on high 4 to 6 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours until chicken is tender. 2. Substitute 4 lamb shanks (12 to 14 oz each) for the leg of lamb or stew meat. Cook on high 6 to 8 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until lamb is tender. 3. Instead of whole sweet potatoes, add 4 carrots (halved lengthwise, then cut into 1-in. pieces) and 2 cans (15.5 oz each) chickpeas, rinsed. Finishing Touches Top with sesame seeds instead of almonds. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or mint. Before serving, add 2 tsp grated orange