Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Mac and Cheese

I couldn't remember if I posted this one before so please forgive me. My girls both go crazy over this dish. You can change up the cheeses you use or even sneak in pureed veggies. (Your kids will never know unless you use something obvious like broccoli. Cauliflower and sweet potatoes blend right in.) I was going to add bacon tonight but my family ate it all up on me. Go figure!  Normally I would add a half block of diced Velveeta cheese but today I had some shredded Kraft 4 cheese with Philadelphia cream cheese in it.

                                                                    Mac and Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni boiled for about 8-10 minutes and drained
1 1/2 skim milk or milk of your choice
1 1/2 c cheese of your choice or 1/2 block of Velveeta diced
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt
1 squirt mustard
1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs for topping

Butter a 9x13 baking pan and set oven to 350. Drain and pour the macaroni noodles into the buttered dish.
In a medium sized sauce pan brown the butter and add the flour mixing with a whisk. Brown butter and flour for about 2 minutes. Add in the milk and continue to whisk til the flour and butter are dissolved. Begin adding cheese and mix in gradually til all melted. (At this time you would add any veggie purees) Bring the cheese mixture just below a boil and remove from heat. Add the salt and squirt of mustard. Pour the cheese over the ready noodles. Make sure all the noodles are covered by giving it a stir or two. Top with the 1/4 c of seasoned bread crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes and enjoy. This goes great with applesauce. If I have left over cheese sauce I sometimes make chili cheese fries the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment