Saturday, August 13, 2011

Great Easy Summertime Meal

My daughter is now a vegetarian and I am constantly looking for new recipes to make for her. This one I found in Martha Stewart's magazine for Roasted eggplant sandwiches on Chibata bread. It was very easy to make and I served it along with some Alexa sweet potato fries. It was funny because I made this and my veggie daughter decided not to come home for dinner. However, this meal was good cold also.
Roasted Egg Plant Sandwiches on Chibata Bread

1 large egg plant
2 Roma tomatoes sliced
1 Vidalia onion sliced into rings (optional)
1 cup milk
1 Chibata loaf cut lengthwise
olive oil
salt and pepper (I use Monterrey steak seasoning)
8-10 fresh basil leaves
Monterrey Jack slices

Firstly cut a small piece off the bottom of the egg plant so it won't roll on you when you are trying to cut it into planks. Cut each plant about 1/4 of an inch apart. You want them thin but not paper thin.

There are two methods you can use to get the bitterness out of egg plant. One is to salt the pieces and let it sit and the second is to soak it in milk . I chose the second. In  a large bowl add one cup of milk and the egg plant pieces. let soak for a half hour. Remove to paper towels and pat dry. Wrap the onions in a foil packet and take the egg plant to a out door grill. brush with olive oil and salt and pepper it.

Roast the egg plant for about 4 minutes a side. Brush the insides of the Cibata with olive oil and toast on the grill for about 2-3 minutes. Bring ever thing inside and assemble. I like Miracle Whip so I put that on top. Place the Jack cheese on the bottom and begin adding the roasted egg plant. Next the tomato slices and onions. Keep making layers until you are finished. Add the chopped basil leaves to the top and place the top of the bread on the sandwich. Slice into 4-8 portions. It is very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment