Monday, August 29, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Burritos and Chicken Flavored Rice

We are trying to pack in as much family time as possible for this next week. It's hubby's work week and me by myself with the girls. Tomorrow is my weigh in for Weight Watchers so it helps to have some activity. Yesterday my youngest daughter and I went to the park and had a play date with my daughters' friend. Two five year olds together is very interesting to say the least. My daughter is very talkative, energetic, and competitive. Her friend wanted to play games where she made up the rules and always won. It turned out OK though. We walked around the park and the pond. The pond however, you couldn't see because they decided to go Au natural and let the plant life grow to towering heights. Great for wildlife, bad if you want to enjoy the water.

Before we left I threw this recipe in the crock pot. Prep time was about 5 minutes. I substituted canned pinto beans for kidney beans.

1 15oz can kidney beans (or whole pinto beans)
1 lb chicken thighs (boneless) I used 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 c. Mexican style cheddar cheese
12 flour tortillas

Add all the ingredients except for tortillas and cheese to the crock pot. Set on low for 5 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with forks. Drain the liquid from the crock pot and stir in the chicken. If your tortillas aren't soft you can place them between two napkins and microwave for 30 seconds. Take 1/2 c of bean mixture and spread down tortillas. Add a pinch of cheese to each. I like mine crispy so I put in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. 1 burrito per serving at 5 pts. each.

I served this with chicken flavored rice. 2 cups chicken broth to one cup rice. Yields 3 cups. I have a rice cooker but follow your package directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment