Saturday, June 1, 2013

Childhood Memories of Shrimp Subgum

When I was a child I grew up on Milwaukee's South side around Mitchell Street. My Mom would take me as a treat to this Chinese restaurant that I fell in love with and still crave the food 30 plus years later. One of my favorites was their shrimp subgum. It's a collection of veggies like bok choy and sugar snap peas. I tried to recreate the flavors I remember with this easy to prepare dish. The only downside was, I forgot the snap peas and green pepper and had to buy them at my local organic store. The peppers were $4.00/lb which is crazy!

Shrimp Subgum

2 stalks bok choy diced
1/2 pound shrimp (deveined and uncooked)
1 egg white
pepper and salt
1/2 lb sugar snap peas
2 TBSP flour
1 small onion diced
1 small green pepper diced
1 can of fancy La Choy veggies
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup sherry or white wine
white rice for serving
soy sauce
Note: I used flour as my thickening agent instead of corn starch
This recipe is great because you can throw any veggies you have on hand. It was cheaper when I priced it out to use the canned mixed veggies. The bok choy gives it a crunch along with the green pepper. Heat oil in a wok or a large frying pan and add the onion and green pepper. Fry for about 3-5 minutes stirring. Add the flour and brown with the oil and veggies. The veggies should still be crisp. The flour should be browned for a minute or two. It is acting like a roux.
Defrost the shrimp in a bowl of cold water and remove the shells. Toss the shrimp in the egg white and salt and pepper and into the pan.  Add the broth (wine) and then the snap peas. Flip the shrimp which will turn opaque and pink when done. Serve over rice with your favorite Chow Mein noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment