Sunday, June 30, 2013

Why I Am NOT a Iron Chef....

Sometimes you see a idea by an accomplished chef and think to yourself "That looks easy! I can do that!" Then the reality sets in when you are trying to hold things together with toothpicks. This was the case with Michael Simons' zucchini wrapped salmon. Firstly I am didn't have a mandolin. I am afraid I am going to chop my fingers off.  I used a potato peeler as the site suggested. You can check out the full recipe on ABC.com. I also used what I had on hand. I don't keep anchovies on hand. I ended up baking my salmon because I thought the time of 3 minutes per side was a little low.

I peeled out the zucchini slices, slathered each piece of salmon with Dijon mustard and dill, and seasoned with salt and pepper. I laid out the zucchini slices and then put the salmon flesh side down onto the  zucchini. Here was the hard part. I had trouble inverting the salmon once it was in the frying pan. I tried tooth picking the salmon with little success. I browned each piece for 3-5 minutes a side. I basted each of them again with the Dijon sauce before putting into the oven. I baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. The salmon should be springy to the touch.


Along with the salmon I made quick cooking polenta. Be careful! Polenta really sticks to your skin and could give you a good burn! The key is to keep stirring and add your cheese and seasoning along with some butter at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment