Friday, June 14, 2013

Pulled Pork, Twice Baked Baby Potatoes, and Hostess Cake Prep

Tomorrow I am throwing a small party to celebrate my graduation and that of my daughter from 8th grade. I went through a number of menu ideas. At first it was going to be the old Wisconsin fare, brats, and hamburgers. Then I came across this in my store's clearance section, a full picnic pork shoulder. I decided on  pulled pork two ways: one with a garlic butter sauce and the other old fashioned BBQ'd. I am making it today and will reheat it tomorrow. I will also be making a cucumber salad and my Mom will bring baked beans.
 At a dollar a lb. I couldn't go wrong. The only downside is that it has a bone. I should have saved myself some time and asked the butcher to carve it for me.  I was able to use a small sharp knife to make two small roasts. I used the bone with the remaining meat and some of the other pieces of pork for the pulled pork. The pork went into a crock pot with a 1/2 cup of water, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Next I started the twice baked potatoes. On a roasting pan, I put 3 lbs of small new potatoes and slathered them with olive oil. I placed them in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes flipping them after 15 minutes. I also gave them a dash of kosher salt.

I let them cool down and scooped out the insides with a table spoon. It is helpful to cup the potato half in one hand and scoop out with the other hand. Leave enough potato so you don't wreck the skin on the potato.
To the potatoes I added 1/4 cup heavy cream, on half of a package of Oscar Meyer fresh bacon bits, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, and salt and pepper. I used a hand mixer to blend the potatoes and seasoned them with salt and pepper. The mix is then returned to the potato skins using a tea spoon. Each was topped off with more cheese. Tomorrow, I will put them into the oven and bake them at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Or until they are warmed.

The final piece to this puzzle is the cake. I found a semi-homemade recipe for a cake I have been wanting to try for a long time, the Hostess cupcake cake. I made two 9x13 sized cakes but you can make them in the round form also. I also decided to go with regular chocolate frosting rather than the chocolate ganash topping I did give it the signature filling and swirls though. I will post that recipe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment