Friday, May 3, 2013

Clearance Jackpot Avocados and Apples for Taffy Apple Salad

I have said this numerous times, I love my grocery store!  I know exactly what time to go. The ladies at the checkout were bagging the veggies and fruits up for clearance. There was an overabundance of apples with nothing wrong with them except maybe a minor blemish and a whole bag of avocados perfect for guacamole.  I couldn't go wrong for a dollar a bag.

I had a taste for Taffy Apple salad. This is an easy as 1,2,3 recipe. I made it every few months and find it perfect not only for the fall but the whole year! It has very few ingredients and an awesome taste. I use lite Cool Whip but feel free to use the full calorie stuff.
Taffy Apple Salad

6 apples cored and diced skins on
1 container lite Cool Whip
1 small pkg. Butter Scotch pudding
1/2 cup peanuts dry roasted or salted
1 can pineapple tidbits drained
1 cup marsh mellows (optional)
1 TBSP lemon juice

In a large bowl, mix the cored and diced apples with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Add the Cool Whip and pudding. Stir until the pudding is dissolved. Add the pineapple and marsh mellows. Finally before serving, add the peanuts. This is a truly addictive salad that you will get rave reviews about at family functions. Enjoy!

Easy Pleasy Guacamole

6 Avocados
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
a few dashes hot sauce (optional)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 diced tomato (optional)

I love avocados! I would eat them every day of the week if I could! I enjoy eating this dip on toasted bacon and avocado sandwiches. This recipe also has the fewest ingredients but a wonderful taste. Firstly scoop out the avocados with a spoon into a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash. Add the Adobo (found in Mexican foods aisle), hot sauce, and lemon juice. I usually leave the pit from one avocado in the bowl to prevent oxidation also. Cover with wrap until ready to serve. Sometimes some oxidation occurs but it easily mixes in and looks perfect. I try to make this as close to serving as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment