Monday, May 27, 2013

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!




Chicken has to be the best budget extender there is! There were chicken quarters on sale at the grocery store. All I had to do was put a knife between the joint to separate them. There are many different methods out there. I used the paper bag method. I added flour and spices in a paper bag and then the pieces of chicken. And then Shake it Baby!  It feels like a Sunday today because it's so dreary out. Give yourself a day like the weekend that you can devote to making this. You may need to make two batches. I could fit 6-7 pieces in my cast iron skillet.

I didn't soak in buttermilk but you can for a few hours. I did season the chicken with salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for a few hours. Another option is to use eggs and self rising flour to get more of a crust. All in all I was happy with the result. I went about 40 minutes on these chicken thighs because they were so big. I would do the same for large portions like the breast. Chicken wings and drumsticks will cook faster and can be removed starting at 30 minutes.
the stowaway 

Alas I did loose one chicken drumstick to the flour. Be sure to always check there are no stowaways! I also dumped about a TBSP of Cayenne pepper into the bag by accident. Luckily it was the right amount.

I fried in bacon fat and vegetable oil. My neighbor eats a lot of bacon and saves me the fat. The flavor of the crust was delicious!

Perfect Fried Chicken

6-8 pieces of chicken seasoned with salt and pepper
2 cups all purpose flour
just into the oil 
1 TBSP tarragon
1 TBSP thyme
1 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 TBSP salt
1/2 TBSP pepper
1 paper bag
1 cast iron skillet
1 cup bacon fat
1/2 cup veggie oil
Note: the oil should come half way up the skillet

nearly finished
Add the chicken a few pieces at a time. Shake the bag holding the bottom until the pieces are all coated. Heat up the oil and melt the bacon fat on medium low heat. The temp. should be around 350 degrees. Using a tongs, lower the chicken into the oil skin side down. I let the pieces fry in the oil for 15 minutes before turning uncovered.
Remove the drumstick from the oil and then the bigger pieces at around 35-40 minutes onto paper towels. Let rest for 5 minutes. Season with a dash of Kosher salt and serve with your favorite side.






No comments:

Post a Comment