Friday, May 24, 2013

Finals Week, Chicken Mole' Tortas, Graduation, and Pneumonia....

It's been another roller coaster week here in my house. My little one had the stomach flu about two weeks ago and then developed a horrible cough past week with a fever. I took her to Children's Hospital of WI which is the go to place her in Milwaukee and she was diagnosed with pneumonia in her left lung. We were sent home with no cough medicine, just Augmentin. The antibiotic was doing nothing so I took her to see our family doctor. Her pneumonia has grown in her left lung to almost half her lung. He put her on a Z pack and hopefully we are on our way to recovery. Sadly she is still considered contagious so she cannot go to my graduation today. My mom has been gracious enough to stay here and watch her.

Good news is I am graduating today from the Phlebotomy program at MATC. I didn't graduate the first time I went to college and am nervous. I also had a face to face interview for the job I wanted and have my fingers crossed!

Flash back to Wednesday night. My Spanish class had a Fiesta. That is where we all bring in a dish to share.  I made this dish I learned from the Sandwich King on Foodnetwork, Chicken and Mole' tortas. Some people were using this as a dip with chips which is another excellent use. I made mine ahead of time and kept it hot in the crock pot. I have made this a few times and it was a big hit in my class. I also brought the home made jalapenos I made about a week ago. This is how I remember the recipe. You can get the exact one from Foodnetwork.com.
Note: I love skin on chicken but this is what I had on hand

Chicken and Mole' Tortas

5 boneless skinless chicken breasts or skin on defrosted
1 small onion diced
3 cups chicken stock
2 dried New Mexico chilies (heated in a 350 oven for 5 minutes) seeds removed
1 chilie in adobo sauce chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 can diced tomatoes drained of juice
2 TBSP semi sweet chocolate chips (I did 6 TBSP this time)
2 TBSP sesame seeds
2 TBSP Canola oil
salt and pepper
6 bolero rolls or other hard rolls or you may serve over rice like I did on the second day
also great with hot flour tortillas

Heat the oil in a large pan with high sides. Brown the onion until translucent. Add the chilies and brown until fragrant about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, raisins, peanut butter, tomatoes and sesame seeds. Turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and place in a blender with a ladle. This is where an immersion blender comes in handy. Pulse for a few seconds until the mole' is smooth.

Return the mole' to the pan and add the chicken breasts. Since I used boneless skinless mine cooked faster. (30 minutes) I turned the breasts once during heating. If you were using bone in breasts, you would put them in the pan face down first. The cooking time is about 45 minutes with bone in. Remove the chicken from the pot and let cook for a few minutes. Use two forks to shred the chicken breast and return to the sauce. Serve with the bolero rolls or over rice and garnish with cilantro and avocado. (optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment