Thursday, April 25, 2013

How to Shop on a Shoestring

I have to share with you my latest outing. I think someone is looking out for us. I found $20.00 at school on the floor and my husband came home with $50 he found on the pavement. Both couldn't have come at a better time! We headed to the grocery store first thing this morning. Here is all the things I purchased for under $40.00.  Here are some tips for you:

  •  Our store has a clearance meat section. If your store doesn't have one, look for meats to be marked down on Mondays. Stores are looking to get rid of meat that is at the end of  it's freshness date. I purchased 6 lbs. of hamburger for $12.00, a bag of chicken breasts for $6.00, brats for $2.00 and a whole corn beef brisket for $4.00. Huge savings! That hamburger will be divided up and frozen and lasts a long time.
  • If your store has a "savings card," sign up for it! This particular store doesn't have a shopping card but has incredibly low prices. 
  • Make a list and stick to it. Use coupons. Sit down on Sunday and plan your meals for the week based on what you have in your pantry and freezer. 
  • Look for clearance vegetables. I was able to get a bag of 6 green peppers for .79 cents. I also got clearance cans of veggies marked off only because there was a dent in the can. 
  • Buy grains, pasta, and beans in bulk. I purchase a 20lb bag of Riceland rice at a time and it lasts me for months and months. Dried beans are also very inexpensive and a budget extender. 
  • Buy generic or off brand items. They taste the same if not better. We buy bulk cereal and my kids don't know the difference. 
  • Buy a Soda Stream soda maker: We got ours for free by hosting a house party from Houseparty.com. It is worth it's weight in gold! The CO2 costs $12 to exchange every month and flavors start at $4.95 and make 30-50 one liters of soda. We save $15.00 a week from not buying soda or bottled water. 
  • The Seagram's Wine coolers I also got for free by hosting a HouseParty this weekend. All you do is invite your friends over to try new products, get free coupons, and other goodies, and they don't  have to buy anything, just come over and have fun!
  • If your gas station has a rewards card, use it! I got 4 items for free this week. You need gas and save at the same time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment