Saturday, April 6, 2013

Let Them Eat Cake!

My daughter and her boyfriend came home from Walgreen's wanting to make cake but brought home a corn bread mix instead with a container of frosting. This would not do. I had all the ingredients in my cupboard and fridge to make our own homemade yellow cake within 35 minutes. This is a delicious cake that you can't tell if Sara Lee or I made it. But I know better! This recipe would do fine as a layer cake but I chose to bake it in a 9x13 glass Pyrex pan.


Yellow Cake

1/4 cup butter melted
1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract or one cap full
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 c. All Purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar (you can substitute Splenda if you'd like)

Pre-heat a oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a glass 9x13 pan with butter or Crisco so the cake won't stick. Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl  give them a mix with a hand blender, and then add the wet. Blend for 2 minutes being sure to get the flour out from the bottom of the bowl. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry. Let cool for 45 minutes and frost with your favorite frosting. My daughter purchased this one but you can also make your own delicious frosting by combining a few pats of butter, cream cheese and confectioners sugar. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment