Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Soup

The onion is cooks' treat
I like to make soup at least once a week during winter. Today I started a pot of turkey soup right before I had to go to school. Right after we carved our turkey, I put the carcass in some tin foil and off to the freezer. This morning I put about 8 cups water, the carcass, one onion whole, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots cut into coins, and one potato diced. It's ok to put in these veggies because they will retain their shape.

I let the pot boil on medium heat for about a hour and a half. I then remove the carcass and let it cool down so I could pick the meat off. I added 1 tsp salt and about 2 TBSP chicken soup base to the soup. I checked it for seasoning and added the meat back in. I added more water because of the turkey carcass being taken out. I then let the soup cool and put it in the fridge for my hubby to heat up for dinner. If I were home I probably would have made some dumplings to go in it. This soup is a holiday favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment