Thursday, November 22, 2012

Coming Out of a Turkey Coma...




I hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving with your family! I have been stuck sitting in the recliner for the past two hours trying to digest the huge dinner I laid out. I haven't roasted a turkey in the oven for about 8 years. My hubby had been deep frying it. Times are tough this season so I bit the bullet and decided to forgo the fryer this year.

I started out about 7:30A.M.  with the bird in the sink. I had had it in the freezer since Saturday but it was still a bit frozen. I finally got it thawed out and into the oven around 9. I rubbed it down with some softened butter, Rosemary, Thyme, and salt. I covered the breast and drumsticks with a foil triangle.

The next item on my list was to make the Deviled eggs. You can make these the night before, but they will not make it to the table in my house. These are a must in our house for any special occasion. I either have to hid them or not make them until right before the event. Older eggs work better in this recipe. They peel easier.


Easy Deviled Eggs

1 dozen eggs
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 pinch Cayenne
salt and pepper
mayonnaise (start out with 3 TBSPs)
A pinch of Paprika for the top

Add the eggs to a medium sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil for 11 minutes and shut off heat. Let them sit on the stove for 10 minutes more and cool by running cold water over them. Once cooled peel the shells and cut eggs down the middle. Use a fork to smash the yolks. Add mayonnaise, mustard powder, Dijon, and Cayenne. Use a teaspoon to fill the egg whites. Refrigerate until ready to serve in a well  hidden place.

While the turkey was roasting in the oven, I basted it every hour with melted butter. I also roasted my own sweet potatoes. I poked holes in them and rolled them in some oil on a baking sheet. I added them to the bottom rack and roasted them until fork tender for about a hour. I then used a beater to mash them. I normally would add about 2 TBSP brown sugar but was out. I added 2 TBSP syrup instead along with butter, salt and pepper. I used a spoon to lay them out into the casserole dish. I topped them with marshmallows  I didn't heat them until the last half hour when the turkey was out of the oven.
Lastly my favorite thing on the menu. To die for stuffing. This recipe came from my Grandmother Virginia, was passe on to my Mom, and I have been making it for the last 16 years. I tweaked it a bit and always make two huge baking dishes full. This is even better the next day for left over dinner! Save the giblets from the turkey for this one. I make my stuffing separate from the bird.

The Best Ever Stuffing!

2 Bags Stuffing with sage
2 stalks celery cut into 3rd s and diced
1 onion diced
1 apple cored and diced
1 stick of butter
1 carton chicken broth
the giblets cut into bite sized pieces and sauteed in butter

In a small stock pot add the chicken broth, celery, onion, and apple. Bring to just below a boil to soften. In a small frying pan saute the giblets. Add the stuffing cubes to a large bowl and begin stirring in the chicken broth. You may need to add a bit of water if you run out of broth. Add the giblets and continue stirring and adding broth until you get the consistency you are looking for.  It fills 2 9x13 pans. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Serve with gravy.


No comments:

Post a Comment