Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Next Day Dinner

We have been eating left over today starting with lunch. There wasn't much turkey left over from our 13 pounder. For dinner I decided to use the left overs to make a feast. Still the same ingredients, but it tasted different. I saw this cool recipe on Foodnetwork for coquettes. They are little potato pancakes that are dipped in bread crumbs and fried until golden. I adapted the recipe a bit because I am out of ingredients but they still turned out fantastic!

Potato Coquettes

Let me preface this and tell you how I make my smashed potatoes. This year I used yellow potatoes. Normally I use red. I peeled and cut them into 4th and boiled them in water until fork tender. I then mixed them with 1/4 package cream cheese and started to mix them with 1/4 heavy cream, and seasoned with salt and pepper.

3 cups cold mashed potatoes
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup Canola oil
salt and pepper
1 egg yolk
1 whole egg for dipping
a splash of milk

Mix the egg yolk in with the potatoes. Take a handful of mashed potatoes and make a patty with your hands. Set on a foiled tray and repeat until you have exhausted all of your mashed potatoes. I got about 9 patties out of this.
 Put the tray in the fridge to harden the mashed potatoes for about 5 minutes. Next dip the patties in the beaten egg and into the bread crumbs. Move into a frying pan and oil that has been heated. The oil should go mid way up the patties.
Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels and serve!


I then used the left over gravy and turkey and served that with the potatoes. It was delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment