Friday, November 9, 2012

Busy, Busy, Week! School and Obama...

Dear Blog,

I know it's be a few days since I have updated you. On Saturday 11/3 the President visited Milwaukee and I took my oldest daughter Cassie to hear his speech. We arrived a hour early thinking there wouldn't be a huge line. The air had a chill in it. We ended up about 3 blocks away from the entrance!
Before we knew it, the line was thousands upon thousands of people long. We had only eaten breakfast and had two waters with us.

I was really surprised we only saw a few Romney protesters and one guy dressed in an elephant costume for PETA regarding the unethical treatment of circus elephants. We met a nice family and talked to them all the way to the entrance where were separated.

We finally made it in 2 1/2 hours later. The secret service riffled through my purse. No one checked our tickets. The ball room was all ready half full. We found a spot and stood, and stood. People started taking the stage around 2. We had politicians that are popular around here like Mayor Tom Barrett, Tammy Baldwin, Gwen More, and Herb Kohl.
She doesn't know I took this!
There were breaks in between the speakers. Forget coming back to your spot if you had to go to the bathroom. People were not letting others get back to their spots. We were packed in there like sardines. There were about 20,000 people. What bothered me was people didn't seem to have consideration for others. My daughter and I are short and we had nothing but tall people in front of us. The one boy in front of us had to be about 7 feet tall. He took pictures for us sometimes and was very nice. I had to yell at his woman next to us that kept elbowing my 13 year old. Then when Katy Perry took stage people became really rude and put their kids on their shoulders obstructing every one's view.


This was not a place to bring babies or young kids. We were standing for 5 hours.

Finally around 3:30PM was the moment we had anticipated. The President took stage! When I was a kid the Reagan presidential motorcade had passed my grade school. We really couldn't see that much then either but now we were parallel to the podium where Obama was! People were still pretty rude. There was a sea of cameras and tall people. My daughter and I managed some how to get some pretty great pictures. It was neat to be in a room united with other people.





 I have never seen so many people packed into such a tiny space! We were so tired, hungry, and thirsty by the time the President took the stage. We got our second wind though and were very energetic.

His speech was amazing! My daughter was the one that really wanted to go. It's great that at her age she all ready has her own political perspective.I am so glad I could share this with her!

I am also very proud of Wisconsin and our 87% voter turn out. We waited in line 45 minutes to vote. Our ward has a big turn out every election. Even if you didn't vote for Obama, this is the chance for our nation to come together.


No comments:

Post a Comment