Sunday, November 18, 2012

Potato Addicts Anonymous...And Perfect Scrambled Eggs

I should have sold this on Ebay!
I guess it's not that anonymous if it's stated right in the title... I am a fried potato lover! My Grandmother got me started with absolutely the best fried potatoes or home fries you ever did taste. I have been working on perfecting them for a good part of my life. Her secret was...par boiling the potatoes with their skins on and then peeling them and frying them. I like to make them that way or the easier way by par cooking the potatoes in the microwave. I also leave their skins on instead of peeling. I do remove any eyes. You don't want those staring at you, and they are hard to chew.

further proof the world is ending

I have to share pics of this bag of potatoes. They are the most genetically mutated ones I have ever seen! I wonder what happened at this farm? Is it me, or do these look like human appendages. Anywhoo! I took the potatoes, poke holes in them, and microwaved them for about 6 minutes. (Not these freaky potatoes, some other ones) Microwaving is the quicker way to do it. If you have more time, place the whole potatoes in a pan with enough water to cover them and cook for 25 minutes. You don't want them to be mushy but semi cooked. Drain the water or wait for them to cool off for a minute or two after they come out of the microwave. Or, you can burn your fingers like I do and attempt to slice them. Make sure the pieces are uniform so they cook evenly.

Add 2 TBSP to a non-stick frying pan. Mine is monsterous because I am cooking for a family of four. Heat the oil and then add the potatoes. I don't have a lid big enough for my pan but I try to cover them for a few minutes and season with salt each time I turn them. I love the burnt bits! You may also add a diced onion and pepper to this and make potatoes O'Brien. It takes about a good 10 minutes to develop proper color.


I have seen plenty of disastrous eggs in my life time. The kids and my hubby prefer scrambled unless I make poached or over medium. Then they don't have a choice. The main thing I see go wrong in scrambled eggs, is scrambling them too much. They should be gently convinced to scramble. I made them similar to a omelet so they are fluffy instead of destroyed.

I generally use one egg per person. Poke holes in the yolks so they mix easier. Add about 1/4 cup milk to the eggs and beat. Add butter to a non stick egg pan and begin the process. Let the eggs sit there for a minute until you see the edges bubble. Then start to push the cooked eggs to the middle so the wet eggs can cook. Don't constantly stir the eggs as this will destroy them.
Eventually the eggs will come together. The top of them are wet, then I flip them over and season them. Cook for a minute longer and remove to the plate. Serve with the delicious fried potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment