Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chicken Chop Suey

I felt like I was on an episode of "Chopped" last night. I wanted chop suey but didn't have any beef. I also had one can of bean sprouts. My grandmother used to make the best chop suey when I was a kid. I have no idea what that meat was lol  But, I was looking for the same consistency. I decided on chicken. Chicken is the main protein in our house. This would be great with turkey for an after Thanksgiving meal or you could use a rotissire chicken for this.


I boiled frozen boneless chicken breast in water for 25 minutes and then moved it to a plate to cool.  Meanwhile I diced two carrots into coins and also diced a small onion. I am out of oil (darn grocery list) so I added a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan and covered with a lid. I steamed the veggies until they were semi soft. Next I shredded the chicken breast and added about a cup and a half of chicken broth. The next step was to add the soy sauce. Start with 2 TBSP and go from there. I used a 1/4 cup of water from the boiled chicken and added about 2 TBSP corn starch to it as a thickener for the sauce.

You can add whatever veggies you like to this dish like carrots, celery, or even a can of drained La Choy chop suey veggies. Serve over rice with chow mein noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment