Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trying Bitchin Kitchen Recipe Tonight

I love the new show "Bitchin Kitchen" on the Cooking Channel. It reminds me a bit of "Pee-wee's Playhouse"  meets the "Sopranos." One of the recipes the other day caught my eye. My daughter wants to become a vegetarian but I am not giving up meat so we made a compromise. She will eat chicken and fish just no beef. I am making a Mediterranean Chick Pea Stew with Chicken.

Here is the recipe via the cookingchannel.com

Ingredients

  • 1 whole head garlic, unpeeled
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Pinch freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
  • 2 sweet red bell peppers, seeded and julienned
  • 1 red finger hot chile pepper, seeded and minced*  I used half of a jalapeno julienned and diced thinly
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • Pinch sea salt
  • 2 (28-ounce or 796 ml) cans whole, peeled, organic tomatoes, hand crushed
  • Pinch brown sugar
  • 3 cups canned chick peas, rinsed and drained
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 10 large fresh mint leaves, stacked, rolled up and sliced into ribbons (chiffonade) (I omitted this)
  • Handful fresh parsley, leaves picked and minced
  • *Cook's Note: Hot chile, omit if sensitive or prefer less heat.
  • Whole-wheat pitas, cut into wedges and toasted, for serving
I roasted the garlic as noted the night before and squeezed it out today. I should smell wonderful for my co-workers! I julienned the red pepper and scallions and browned them in the oven. I added the tomatoes first to the crock pot, the seasonings, and garlic. On top of that I added the frozen chicken breasts. I have to go to work for 4 hours. When I come home I plan on adding the chick peas and making some couscous. It takes only a few minutes. I will post pictures on how it comes out! I omitted the mint because I could not find fresh mint.

Here's how mine looked and it was pretty filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment