Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Soup Day

My oldest daughter has decided she doesn't want to eat red meat anymore and become a vegetarian. Today I made something for her. Easy Pleasy Lentil Soup. I did use beef soup base and she is OK with that.  It did taste just as good omitting the broth and beef soup base.

I don't know when I will be getting to the grocery store this week so once again I am relying on my pantry and freezer. I did not have celery for this recipe but I thought the taste was good.

Easy Pleasy Lentil Soup

1 onion diced
2 TBSP canola oil
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery diced
1 tsp dried oregano (I used Italian seasoning)
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
2 diced potatoes(optional)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I used a Mexican blend)
1 package of dried lentils (1lb)
1 can of chopped spinach drained (If using frozen squeeze out liquid)
2 TBSP beef soup base or bullion
2 TBSP vinegar
2 tsp chopped garlic (I use a prepared garlic)
pepper to taste
6 cups chicken broth or water or beef stock if you have on hand

In a large stock pot heat the oil over medium heat adding the onion and stirring for 3 minutes. Add carrots and celery. Continue to brown for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning. Add dried lentils. Add chicken broth or water and diced tomatoes. Stir soup and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to low and cover for an hour. Season with the tsp of salt.  At the 30 minute mark I also added diced potatoes. About 10 minutes before serving I added the drained spinach, vinegar and  the soup base. Taste for seasoning and lentil doneness. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment