Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Soup Day

I work in a school and we have off Monday for MLK day (yippee!)  I started following Weight Watchers this week. I have done it so many times in the past I pretty much have points memorized. Today I am making a huge batch of Weight Watchers veggie soup. It can be used to stave hunger. I had a pretty good breakfast this morning biscuits and sausage gravy so I am going to try to stick to a low point lunch and moderate dinner.  Here's what my soup looks like.




Weight Watcher Veggie Soup from a Veggie Venture

WEIGHT WATCHERS ZERO POINTS GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 1 1/4 hour
Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth (today I used Light Vegetable Stock) note: I used chicken stock

Cooking spray
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)
1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine, don't skip the cabbage for it somehow makes the soup)
1/2 pound frozen green beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large zucchini, diced

(I also added a squash, 1 small can of diced tomatoes, and some chicken soup base)

Bring the broth to a boil in the microwave. (This is a time-saving tip that can be skipped if there's no hurry.)

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

I also bought some Slimfast Shakes and bars. There was a special for buy 2 get one free at the grocery store. The bars are much improved over what they used to taste like. Also I had some WW ice cream bars but once the family found them they were gone. However they didn't find my stash of Nabisco 100 calorie snacks!


For dinner tonight I am going to grill some chicken and make tortilla bowl salads. I might forgo the tortilla bowls if they are too high in points.

Each person puts on their own salad dressing. I am going for a lite version.

Here's what I put in my salad
1 can rinsed black beans
1 tomato chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
1 avocado chopped
1 chicken breast per person

No comments:

Post a Comment