Monday, January 10, 2011

One of our Crockpot Favorite Soups

I adapted this recipe I found in my new "American Test Kitchen" cook book. I use a crock pot. It is a very easy soup to make and hot and waiting when you get home from work or play.

2 bone in chicken breasts (I like how it adds flavor to the soup)
2 chilies in adobo sauce (I take the can and separate out the chilies into bags of two)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 onion (I like it whole)
2 TBSP chicken soup base (found in the soup section of the grocery)
3 cups chicken broth
cilantro for garnish
avocado for garnish
tortilla chips for garnish

Add all ingredients except for chicken soup base. Cover with lid. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Remove chicken. Discard skin and shred with two forks. Put back in soup. Add soup base and add water to bring the level of the soup to almost the top of the crock pot.

 I serve my family of 4 and then add a few more cups of water keeping the crock pot on so it warms up. Garnish with cilantro, avocado, sour cream (this brings down the hotness,) and tortilla chips crunched on top.

Tip: You may reduce the amount of chilies in adobo to your liking. Be sure to wash your hands before touching your eyes or face.

No comments:

Post a Comment