Sunday, January 5, 2014

Salsa Chilaquiles: Special Breakfast Day

We had to brave the elements to get to the grocery store before the deep freeze happens here in Milwaukee tomorrow. I needed to get back home in time before the kids work up to make breakfast. I just happened to watch one of my favorite chefs, Rick Bayless' program and he made Chilaquiles. His recipe was pretty involved and when I searched for it on his site, I found a less complicated recipe that came out delicious!
Salsa Chilaquiles

16 oz of salsa
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
4 large eggs (we eat two per person here)
8 cups thick tortilla chips (I used Chi-chi's)
1/2 small white onion
1/3 cup sour cream (I forgot to use)
1/2 c. pepper jack or Monterrey Jack cheese
chopped cilantro for garnish
butter for the eggs

Heat the salsa and chicken broth in a sauce pan. In an egg pan, heat and add a pat of butter. Crack two eggs and let them set on medium heat until the whites are no longer runny. Add 8 loosely packed cups of thick tortilla chips and stir. Cover with a lid and finish the eggs. Bring the salsa just to a boil and shut off. Cover for 5 minutes.

Add the tortilla chips to the bottom of a plate. Top with cheese, onion, and the eggs. Garnish with more cheese and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment