Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Easy Hummus and Pita Chips

I am a pretty fortunate Mom in the way that my kids will try anything once. I try to get a variety of foods of all nationalities into their diet. My oldest Cassie is fond of the Sabra hummus spreads. Today at the grocery store they had chickpeas on sale for 2/$1.00. Tahini which is sesame paste can vary in price. I went with Roland brand which was $4.00. This will last a long time in the fridge and can be used in Indian dishes also.

For the pita chips I purchased some Kangaroo pockets and cut each in half and  in 4ths. I sprayed each with cooking spray and sprinkled them with sea salt. They went into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. They were flipped in between.

Easy Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans drained
4-6 TBSP lemon juice
1/3 cup Tahini
2 TBSP water
2-4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup oil (olive or veggie)
1/2 tsp sea salt

In a food processor run the whole garlic cloves for a few pulses. Add the drained garbanzo beans, Tahini, lemon juice and water in the food processor. Pulse until the mixture is chunky. Slowly add in the water and some of the oil until you have a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper and add more oil on top if you like. Serve with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment