Sunday, December 15, 2013

Shrimp and Onion Enchiladas in Rojo Sauce


I love enchiladas! One of my favorite memories as a kid was to go to a restaurant named Acapulco on Milwaukee's south side and have a combination platter. The first thing I would eat was the delicious enchiladas.
I had a taste for shrimp but didn't want to make the Verde crema sauce with it. I decided on a red sauce. You can search at the top of my blog to see how to make your own rojo sauce from scratch but today I used a packaged La Prefadia sauce. It was semi-homemade. I used 100/200 count shrimp for this recipe. Tis the season for shrimp to be priced through the roof. This was around $7.00 for the package. Since they were cooked, I defrosted them in some cold water, draining and refilling until defrosted. I wanted mega cheesy enchiladas so I went with a pepper Monterrey jack cheese.
Corn tortillas will break up on you if not first
warmed. I fried mine for a minute or two on each side in some corn oil. I then drained them on paper towels.
Place a small amount of shrimp and a TBSP of onion on each tortilla and a pinch of cheese. Lay half of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Roll the tortillas and lay seam side down. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Here I used an entire 8oz. bag. Bake until warm 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment