Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Our New Years Eve Dinner Tradition Continues: Easy Apps for your New Years Feast

My hubby has to work most holidays. I had him home this year though for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Since he's a 3rd shifter, we developed this tradition of having New Years Eve dinner so everyone could participate. I sometimes don't even make it to midnight although I try!


I wanted to get some ground sirloin for raw beef and onions but it was almost $6.00/lb! I purchased a bag of shrimp instead for $7.00 (about a pound) Most shrimp has been crazy expensive because of the whole Gulf tragedy.  Prices are through the roof especially since it's a holiday. I  boiled the shrimp in Old Bay seasoning and some salt. (I used uncooked shrimp.) I brought water (2 cups) to a boil. I added the shrimp and boiled for 3 minutes. I then removed them with a slotted spoon to a ice bath and cooled them. The ice bath stops the shrimp from cooking. Off to the fridge until I serve them.
In the crock pot I have meatballs going with those canned cranberries no one will eat and some chili sauce. The meatballs are made in the crock pot and have three ingredients: one can of cranberries, one jar of chili sauce (Heinz) and 1 20 oz. package of pre cooked meatballs. Set it on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Stirring occasionally.

Boiled Liver Pate'

I grew up eating liver and onions and love this easy dip or pate'

1 cup liver (I am using beef)
2 hard boiled eggs
2 pieces of bacon crisped with the grease
1 onion diced and softened
1/2 cup Mayo
garlic salt salt and pepper for seasoning.

Boil the livers for 10-15 minutes. Cool and add the liver to the food processor with the egg, bacon,
softened onions (fried them in bacon fat) and Mayo. Stir to combine and cool. You could go fancy and put in a form but we are just spooning it out on crackers.  Serve with crackers or Pumpernickle bread. ( I forgot to add the onions til the end but it still turned out great.


Franks' Buffalo Chicken Dip

1 container chicken drained found in the tuna section of the grocery
1 cup Franks' hot sauce
1 cup blue cheese dressing
1 container Treasure Cave blue cheese
1 pkg. cream cheese softened.

Add all of the ingredients to a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm with crackers.


It's been a difficult year with plenty of illness. I am praying for a better year and for my daughter's heart issues to be resolved in April. I hope you all enjoy your night and have a safe New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment