Saturday, November 30, 2013

Will This Thing Fit? Turkey Dumpling Soup

That time has come for me to make turkey dumpling soup. Immediately after the Thanksgiving feast, I freeze the carcass and save it for soup. I bring a huge pot of water to the boil, salt it (1tsp), add an onion, and then place the whole turkey carcass in it. After going for a hour on medium low heat, I turn the carcass around so the other half can render it's deliciousness into the broth. I also add two chopped carrots.
I next remove the carcass from the broth very carefully with two spoons. It is falling apart and let it cool. Once cooled I pick at the carcass and make smaller chunks of turkey to put back into the soup.
For additional flavor, I add two tablespoons of chicken bullion and skim the fat off of the top of the soup. The soup is kept at a continuous boil.
For the dumplings I mix 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, one egg and 1 1/3 cup of milk. Pour in the milk gradually, you may need more or less. Today I had to add in a bit more flour.

Drop in by tablespoons over the boiling soup. Move the heat down to low and and cover for 15 minutes. No peaking! The dumplings will float to the top and be perfect. Taste for seasoning and serve with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment