Sunday, December 9, 2012

Croque Madame Muffins Special Breakfast Day

I am love with this new Cooking Channel show " Little Paris Kitchen" with Rachael Khoo. She made this awesome breakfast Croque Madame Muffins. I made them this morning with some fried potatoes for our "Special Breakfast Day." I think this would make the perfect Christmas morning meal! I made mine with regular store bought bread and instead of making a standard Bechemel white sauce, I made mine with cheddar cheese. It's the same sauce I make for my mac and cheese.
The sauce:
In a sauce pan mix 2 TBSP butter and flour. Mix with a whisk over medium low heat until it becomes light brown. Add 1 cup milk (we use skim), and bring just to under a boil. Stir to get out all the lumps. Also, if you let the sauce sit it will get lumps. Add 1/4 cup grated cheese *I used cheddar. Mix with the whisk until the cheese is melted. You want the sauce to thicken. Remove from the heat and add a pinch of Dijon mustard and nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
While that is going, take six slices of bread and butter both sides. I left the browned crusts on. Fit into muffin tins and be careful not to rip the bottom.
Add a slice of  ham to the bottom. To that place a egg over. Lastly top with a TBSP of the cheese sauce.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. We like our eggs a little more done so I increased the heat to 400 after 15 minutes and let it bake for another 5 minutes. We made two per person. You could easily make the whole 12. They were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment