Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Ham Dinner...

I hope all of you are having a Merry Christmas! I started my ham at 9:30 AM with a dinner time of around 2:30 PM. I got a huge ham this year (14lbs) so there will be plenty for left overs for my family. I glaze it about every half hour with pineapple juice, ginger ale, and orange juice.  I like to use the ham bone for split pea soup or potato soup.

I am making all of the usuals. My Mom makes this wonderful coleslaw that she has passed down to me. I am putting the finishing touches on it. It has crushed pineapple, mini marsh mellows, Miracle Whip, sugar, and a head of cabbage. This is a must at every holiday. Along with the deviled eggs.


I am also roasting some yams with the ham. I will be mashing them with some brown sugar and heavy cream to make whipped sweet potatoes. I top them with marsh mellows and bake until they are melted. Sometimes I add brown sugar or Karo syrup to the mix.

For the veg we are having a simple mixed vegetable. I made a Bechemel sauce this morning and will be pouring that over the veggies. The ham is glazed with my favorite glaze: ginger ale, pineapple juice (I reserved this from the coleslaw), and orange juice. I baste my ham about every half hour.


Finally are my to die for mashed potatoes. I use cream cheese and heavy cream to give the perfect creaminess.

Something new I am trying this year is Parm-spinich pinwheels. It was my first time making these. Some things you need to remember are: you have to drain and squeeze the spinach to get out the excess water and you have to make sure you make the cut all the way through the dough. I think I made mine really thick. It says you are supposed to get 20 out of one roll. I got about 9 maybe 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment